Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekend of Nightmares

It's been a whirlwind of a weekend, emotionally and physically.

My dog Missy has been acting strange lately.  Friday when I came home from work marked two solid days that she hadn't eaten food, which is weird for my chunk of a dog (she loves to eat).  Not only that, but she was acting really lethargic and strange.

I called my vet and even though they were double booked, they got me in that afternoon.  Here I am thinking it's just a virus or infection, but it turns out it was much worse than that. My vet did some blood work and came back with bad news; they wouldn't be able to take care of her like she needed and they were referring us somewhere else.

They sent me to a 24 hour care place where we had to check Missy in for a minimum of 2 days (she ended up staying three).  And yes, we paid out the butt for this stuff.

Turns out her body decided to start marking and killing off her red blood cells, which we discovered is a disease known at IMHA.  I spent a lot of time looking this stuff up because I've never heard of it before.  Her blood count was so low she was on the verge of needing a blood transfusion.  And wouldn't you know? There's no real reason for it to happen, it just does.  Isn't that fabulous? (note the sarcasm)

I'll be honest, I haven't cried that hard in a really long time.  In fact, I barely remember driving her the 30 minutes across town to the second vet.  My poor husband left work early because I was such a mess on the phone with him.  But can you blame me? My baby was sick and the doctors were grim.

So I went in with my dog Friday night and came home empty handed, worried and exhausted.  Then Saturday morning I woke up sick.  I spent the entire day sleeping and even though I know I was dehydrated from puking and all other sorts of fun, I still found the fluid to cry off and on the rest of the day.

To say this weekend was a nightmare was an understatement.

Yesterday we got the good news that the doctors believe her case of IMHA is mild and that we could bring her home today (Monday), and, thankfully I was finally feeling better this morning.

We are now home with our baby and she has a variety of meds to take.  We'll also be at the vet's office a lot more than normal, but we're ok with that.

I'm just utterly grateful to hear her snore beside me as I'm typing this.




1 comment:

  1. I hope things get better for you! That utterly sucks. At least she's doing better now! You poor thing. I'd be a wreck...

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know, I stalk this a lot. I'm not joking.