Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Personal Training

I signed up for a personal trainer back in March.  I have two sessions a month until next March.

My trainer is a younger guy who is super nice and funny, which always helps.

The thing is, the more sessions I have, the more apprehensive I am about going.  And I think it's because I'm still trying to push through and gain muscle, and what my body to do isn't going to happen.  And it didn't help that my trainer told me that we weren't going as fast as he normally likes to train.  I don't think he meant it to be condescending, because really he's very nice.

The first few sessions, I literally couldn't either walk or use my arms for days afterward, they hurt so bad.  I'm not kidding, if I wanted to sit down I had to hold on to something to help me.  I'd barely be able to walk after I left a session.

Not only that, but, quite frankly, my attitude about it sucked.  I whined throughout my session, even though I am paying to be there!

My last session (before today's) was two weeks ago.  My trainer was quieter than normal and seemed grouchy.  I didn't do as well as I wanted to and between the combo of the two, I left feeling disheartened.

I made a decision to not complain as much and to work as hard as I can. Because even if I'm not where I want to be, I'm better than I was.

I went into today's session reminding myself of this, because I didn't want to forget.

My trainer said, "Well, we're going to work on legs today!" and I said, "Yay!" and I promise it was only slightly sarcastic (legs are hard to work on).

I did:

- squats
-wall sits
- lunges
- four reps of abs on the machine
- leg extensions

I didn't whine and stayed pretty quiet, minus some good conversation we had about muscles and what's he's majoring in college.  Oh and we discussed caffeine and how I no longer have any (he was pretty shocked).

And I made a comment about not whining and he said, "Yeah, I noticed that." and I was like, "Hey, it's like therapy, I'm working through it." and he laughed.

And then suddenly, my session was over and I felt like I actually kicked ass at it.  Was I amazing? No, that shit hurts and I'm not going to lie about it.  But, I was proud of myself for not continually asking, "Are you seriously going to make me do that?"  I actually felt like I made progress today and I'm not a giant noodle.

I left excited to come back to my next session, which will be in two weeks.








3 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you!!!

    (Just found this blog, btw. I guess I'm kind of a stalker.. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! I work out with a trainer twice a week and it is a kick ass workout that I could never replicate solo. He just pushes me that much harder. I think you have to be proud that you're sticking with it, that your body is getting stronger and the rest will come. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Attitude is key it can make or break your workout and goals. I tell this to my challengers and coaches all the time. I hope you have stuck with it and are on your way to achieving those goals.

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know, I stalk this a lot. I'm not joking.